These easy scones are packed with savory sun-dried tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Perfect for a spring brunch!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, patted dry
6 tablespoons butter, cold
3/4 cup heavy cream + some for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grate cheddar cheese. Chop sun-dried tomatoes and blot them dry of any extra oil with a few paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Then stir in sun-dried tomatoes and grated cheese.
- Cube the cold butter and mash it into the flour mixture using either a dough cutter, a large fork, or even clean fingers. Make sure the butter is distributed evenly in pea-sized pieces.
- Pour in cream and stir the dough together. Knead it a few times until it comes together but don’t overwork it. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the scone dough out gently and fold it over. Roll it out again to a thickness of about 1/2-inch. Then either use a 2 1/2-3 inch round cutter to cut out scones or you can cut them into any shape you like. You should get 8-10 scones out of the batch and might have to re-roll the dough one time.
- Transfer scones to prepared baking sheet and brush with cream. Bake scones for 20-22 minutes at 400 degrees until they are puffed and browned on all sides.
- Remove scones and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving! Enjoy!