Acorn squash baked with maple syrup and sage and stuffed with a spicy sausage and orzo filling.
1) Slice acorn squash in half. Scoop out seeds with a spoon and add 1 tsp. butter, 1 Tablespoon syrup, a pinch of sage, and a pinch of salt and pepper to each squash.
2) Cover the squash with foil and bake, skin side down, at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until the flesh is tender.
3) Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package.
4) In a large pan, add sausage and cook on medium-high heat until browned and fat is rendered. Add peppers, onions, and garlic and continue to cook until veggies are soft.
5) Mix orzo into sausage mixture.
6) When squash are done, stuff each squash with 1/4 of the filling. They will pretty much overflow. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of each squash.
7) Bake again at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and filling very hot, about 15 minutes.
8) Serve immediately.