1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then cube the cold butter and work it into the dry stuff until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. You can use your clean fingers or a pastry cutter.
3) Chop off stems from figs and then roughly chop them. Stir them into the dry ingredients.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Then stir this into the dry stuff. Just mix it until the dough is pulled together, but try not to overwork it.
5) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop the dough out onto the parchment paper. Form a rough circle out of the dough about 3/4 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter.
6) In a small bowl, stir together streusel ingredients and then drizzle in melted butter. Stir it together and then pack the streusel onto the scone round.
7) Chop the scones into 8 even triangles. Then bake it for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.
8) Let the scones cool for a bit before eating them. I actually think these are best at room temperature when they are really flaky.