Strawberry Sandwich CookiesJump to Recipe
Betsy and I were never huge Valentine’s Day celebrators honestly. We usually just do cards and I’ll make her some chocolate covered strawberries (or buy them if I’m feeling very lazy). But, we’ve been energized on holidays with the kids and love celebrating with them. I made these Strawberry Sandwich Cookies, which are actually much easier than you might think, to celebrate LOVE DAY this year.
I like to make my sandwich cookies BIG and start with like a 3-inch cookie cutter. I used heart-shaped cookie cutters for mine, but obviously you could use any shape. Also, there’s no rule that says the cut-out has to match the larger cookie design, unless, of course, you have a mild case of OCD like MOI.
Tips for Great Jam Sandwich Cookies:
- Be sure to use a jam without a bunch of seeds. You want a smooth jam that you can spread evenly on the cookies.
- Try not to over-bake your cookies! You want them to still be a little soft. Crispy sandwich cookies aren’t my favorite.
- Dust the top cookie with powdered sugar BEFORE you sandwich them which just looks pretty.
There’s literally still plenty of time to make these before V-Day tomorrow. They are not that hard!
- Cream together butter and sugars in a bowl with a hand mixer or with a stand mixer using the paddle attachment. Mix until light and fluffy. Then add egg and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl and slowly add them to the creamed butter. Try not to overmix.
- When dough comes together divide it into two flat discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 60 minutes but overnight is best.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll dough out until 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I like to use a 3-inch cookie cutter for large sandwich cookies. You should get 12 large bottom layer cookies and 12 that you can cut a design in the middle. Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Remove cookies and let cool completely before filling.
To make Strawberry Sandwich Cookies:
- Optionally, sprinkle the top cookies with powdered sugar before making sandwich cookies.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of strawberry jam to the bottom layer of each sandwich cookie and top with the cut-out cookie.
Store cookies in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Strawberry Sandwich Cookies
I made a slight change to my normal sugar cookie recipe for these and used half brown sugar and half regular sugar. The absolute true reason for this is that I ran out of normal sugar. Turns out they were delicious though and had a little more moisture to them than a normal sugar cookie. Might be my new standard!
Wrap and chill the dough for the sandwich cookies for at least sixty minutes before rolling it and cutting out the cookies.
Like I said, I made big cookies here. I could only fit six on each cookie sheet so it required a few batches. Luckily they bake quickly!
Be sure to rotate the pan once halfway through to make sure they are cooking evenly. Mine needed about 8 minutes to be done. 10 minutes would’ve been way too long!
I really liked how the top cookies came out! And don’t toss the cut-outs. They make cute little heart cookies.
How to Make the Sandwich Cookies
This is pretty straightforward, but make sure your cookies are cooled completely before sandwiching them. Then go in with a smear of jam. I used 2-3 teaspoons of jam per cookie and kind of piled it loosely in the center so it fills the cutout.
I’ve never claimed to be a super-great baker, but I thought these strawberry sandwich cookies came out great! I took them to a dinner party and they were GONE.
Happy LOVE DAY everybody!