Homemade Pop Tarts with strawberry preserves.
1) For dough, add dry ingredients to a bowl and stir together. Cut in cold butter with your fingers or fork until it’s in pea-sized bits.
2) Add ice water and bring the dough together in a ball. Try not to add too much water.
3) Knead the dough slightly on a floured counter and then split the dough into two even-sized balls. Wrap each ball in plastic and store them in the fridge for at least an hour.
4) Working with one ball at a time, roll each ball out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle. Mine were about 16×12 in size.
5) Trim off any extra dough so you have a perfect rectangle and slice the dough into 8 even rectangles. In my case, each rectangle was 4×6 more or less.
6) Set down for rectangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add a heaping tablespoon of preserves right in the center of each rectangle. Be sure to leave plenty of room around the edges for sealing the tarts.
7) Add the top half of each tart and try to push out as much air as possible. Use a fork to seal the edges around each pop tart and poke a few holes in the top of each tart as well.
8) Freeze the tarts for at least 2 hours before baking. You can also wrap them in plastic and store them once they are frozen.
9) Bake frozen tarts at 375 degrees on parchment paper for 25-30 minutes.