The steak hoagie! Some might call it a cheesesteak but cheese isn’t completely mandatory for a good sandwich. Sauteed peppers, sliced and seared steak, and a butter toasted bun.
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, sliced thin
1 red pepper, sliced thin
1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
1 small sweet onion, sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter
4 slices Provolone cheese
4 soft Hoagie rolls
Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add sliced peppers and onions and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the peppers and onions for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened but not caramelized completely. The peppers should have a tiny crunch to them still.
- Remove peppers and onions from the skillet, add another tablespoon of butter, and add all the sliced steak in a single layer. Let cook, undisturbed for 3-4 minutes. Season steak with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Ideally, the steak will get a little crust on it, but it’s okay if it doesn’t. Stir steak and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the steak is mostly cooked through. Remove steak from the skillet.
- Wipe skillet out. Slice a hoagie bun in half and lightly butter or oil it. Place on the skillet, cut side down. Add a big handful of steak and peppers and onions on the other half of the skillet in the shape of the hoagie. Turn heat down to medium.
- Let bun cook until it’s toasted. Once steak and peppers are steaming, add cheese if you are using it.
- Remove bun from the skillet and add a lid to melt cheese completely. Then scoop the steak and peppers onto the hoagie bun and eat while warm!
This delicious recipe was brought to you by Macheesmo. Read the full post at https://wp.me/pkSYO-h1V.