Nutty and chewy whole grain spelt topped with sauteed spring veggies and a poached egg.
1) Cook spelt according to directions. Some say you need to soak the spelt, but I found it okay to just simmer it directly after a quick rinse in cold water. It will need to simmer or 80-90 minutes and you should taste it occasionally and stop the cooking when it reaches the consistency you like.
2) Break off tough ends of the asparagus and chop into 1 inch chunks. Slice zucchini or squash into half coins as well.
3) In a large skillet, add a drizzle of oil over medium high heat and add the asparagus and squash. Saute for a few minutes until the veggies are bright in color but not soggy. They should still have some bite to them. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
4) To poach the eggs, bring a few inches of water to a light simmer over medium heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar to the water and swirl it with a spoon.
5) Crack the eggs into a small bowl and roll each egg into the water one at a time. Let them poach for 2-3 minutes until the whites are set. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel.
Plate the spelt by dividing the spelt between plates. Top with sauteed veggies and a poached egg. Drizzle good olive oil over each plate and sprinkle on a pinch of ground coriander and red pepper flakes.