One of my first adventures into canning turned out to be a huge success: Okra pickled with tons of great spices.
1) Rinse okra. Sterilize jars, lids, rings, and utensils by boiling them in water for 10 minutes. Bring brining liquid to a boil.
2) To each sterilized jar, add a chopped pepper, a chopped garlic clove, and a big pinch of all the spices. Add 1/8 Teaspoon of pickle crisp to keep the veggies crispy.
3) Stuff jars with okra, stem-side up. Make sure they have some room to move around, but you can fill them pretty full.
4) Pour brining liquid over okra. Leave 1/4-1/2 inch of space at the top of the jar. Seal jars with lids and rings. Gently shake jars to distribute spices and brine.
5) Seal the jars by boiling them in water for 10-15 minutes (15 minutes if you’re above 3000 feet).
6) Remove jars and let cool completely for 24 hours. After cooling, check seal on jars by pushing down the middle part of the lid. If it pops back up, the jar isn’t sealed.
7) Store in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks. You can then eat them.
The okra will keep fine for one year.