Spicy Mushroom Swiss Breakfast Wraps
This vegetarian breakfast wrap is surprisingly meaty. Like, I almost had to double check that I didn’t accidentally fill it with steak instead of mushrooms! But no. This Mushroom Swiss Breakfast Wrap has just a few ingredients, none of which are steak, but all of which make for one great breakfast.
I think this wrap is best right away and so I honestly limit it to weekend cooking. But you could sautee the veggies in advance and then melt the cheese and wrap it up and it’d be good to go for a quick weekday breakfast. I generally don’t love frozen and reheated mushrooms (or tortillas) so I’d probably avoid freezing these guys.
I like to add some fresh jalapeno to mine, but it’s good without as well. The combo of swiss cheese, mushroom, spinach, and egg is a classic one but in a slightly new form (wraps).
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Melt butter or drizzle with olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 6-7 minutes until mushrooms wilt and start to brown.
- Add jalapeno slices if you’re using them and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach and divide the mixture into two mounds in the skillet. Top each mound with swiss cheese and turn off heat.
- To cook eggs, add a drizzle of olive oil or small amount of butter (1/2-1 teaspoon) of butter to a small skillet over medium heat. Crack in egg and let cook for a minute until the whites are starting to set. Then use a fork to break the yolk and lightly scramble the egg, giving it a marbled look. Flip egg and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Make wraps by placing marbled eggs on tortilla and topping with a mound of the mushroom swiss filling. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with scallions.
- Roll up the wraps and wrap them in foil if you aren’t going to eat them immediately to keep them warm!
Mushroom Swiss Breakfast Wraps
No surprise that these wraps start with mushrooms. I like to use a big portobello for these and slice it into strips. Add these to a skillet with some oil and some salt and pepper.
They will take 5-6 minutes to really start to cook down over medium-high heat. They can also take a lot of heat so don’t worry too much about overcooking them at this point.
At some point, add in the jalapenos if you are using them.
Once the mushrooms are tender and even slightly charred in spots, you can divide the filling into two mounds and add in the spinach. The spinach will obviously cook really quick!
Then cheese goes on each mound and once it’s melted, it’s ready to go!
Onto the egg! I like to use a marbled egg for this kind of wrap so you just crack an egg in a skillet with a little butter. Once the whites start to set, use a fork to break up the yolk a bit.
Flip the egg so it cooks through and then transfer it to your tortilla. Top each egg with a mound of the filling and some scallions.
Wrap it up tightly and wrap it up in foil if you aren’t eating it right away.
These mushroom swiss breakfast wraps are way at the top of my breakfast list on a crisp fall day. Try them out!