After failing at making Spanakopita a few weeks ago, I finally get it right and make two versions just for good measure.
1) Make sure spinach is clean and then blanch for a minute in simmering salted water. Drain the spinach and move it to some paper towels. Let it cool briefly and then squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the spinach.
2) Then coarsely chop the spinach.
3) Chop leeks and scallions and saute them for a minute or two over medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. You just want them to soften up a bit.
4) Add leeks to chopped spinach and stir in all other filling ingredients.
FOR THE PIE:
1) In a 9X9 baking dish, brush the bottom with a light coating of clarified butter and fit in your first layer of phyllo dough. If it rips a bit, that’s fine! The additional layers will cover your problems.
2) After your first layer of dough, brush the surface well with butter and lay down your second piece perpendicular to the first – just to make sure the layers are even on the sides. I did 8 layers on the bottom, but I heard anywhere from 4-10 in the recipes I read.
3) After you build a firm, solid base, poke it with a fork a few times so steam can escape. Then fill the shell with a good amount of filling. I filled it about 1/2 an inch high.
4) Then add two more layers of phyllo dough.
5) Then another 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch of filling.
6) Finally add 4 more pieces of phyllo on top. Again, you always always brush with butter in between layers! When you’re done, you can fold over the edges toward the center so they don’t stick out too much. Also, you can pre-cut through all the layers to make it easier to get out. I just cut mine into 4 large pieces!
7) Bake this at 375 for about 35-40 minutes! It will be completely delicious.
FOR INDIVIDUAL PIES:
1) Take one sheet of dough and brush it well with butter.
2) Fold it in half horizontally and brush that surface with butter.
3) Add a few Tablespoons of filling to the bottom right corner of the phyllo.
4) Then fold the left corner over the filling to form a triangle!
5) Continue to fold triangle up to form a triangle of filled dough. Brush with more butter and add to a baking sheet.
6) Freeze the wraps or bake them for 25-30 minutes at 375.