1) Slice the potatoes (leave the skin on) with your mondoline slicer. You can use a knife if you have an hour and lots of patience.
2) Add the slices to a bowl of cold water to rinse off the starch.
3) Heat oil to 350 degrees in a large pan. Leave a few inches in the pan. Don’t fill the oil all the way to the top!
4) Take a small batch of chips out of the water and drain them on a paper towel to wick off any extra water. They don’t have to be completely dry, but they shouldn’t be dripping wet.
5) Add them to the oil slowly. Be sure not to overcrowd your pan.
6) Depending on how many chips you cook at a time and your pot, your chips should take somewhere in the 5-6 minute range. When they stop bubbling that means all the water is evaporated and they’re done.
7) Move them to a bowl with a paper towel in it to drain again. Season immediately with salt and pepper.