A pretty simple pad thai with seared shrimp and lots of fresh veggies. A light meal that great for dinner and makes awesome lunches also.
1) To clean shrimp, peel off the shell but leave the tails attached and use a sharp paring knife to slice down the back and remove the vein. Then rinse shrimp under cold water and put in a small bowl.
2) Mix together shrimp marinade ingredients and toss the shrimp in the marinade. Let sit for 10-15 minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
3) In a small saucepan, stir together 2 tablespoons peanut oil, tamarind paste, fish sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
4) Cook sauce over low heat until the tamarind paste dissolves and the mixture is hot. No need to bring to a simmer even. Remove from heat and set aside.
5) Cook rice noodles and then toss with 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to keep them from sticking.
6) Prep all the veggies, slice peppers thin, wash cilantro, chop peanuts, and whisk eggs so they are lightly scrambled.
7) Add 2 tablespoons peanut oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, sear shrimp for about 2 minutes per side until they are just cooked through.
8) Remove shrimp from pan and add in eggs. Cook until lightly set, about 1-2 minutes.
9) Add in sauce, noodles, bean sprouts, peppers, and carrots. Cook for a few minutes so ingredients meld together.
10) Add in shrimp and toss.
11) Serve pad thai topped with peanuts, cilantro, and lime wedges.