Spicy Cajun shrimp with creamy cheese grits. This is comfort food at its best.
1) Peel and clean the shrimp but leave the tails on. Toss shrimp with your seasoning.
2) For grits, cook according to package but I recommend using at least one cup of cream to get the grits very creamy. Once your grits are thick, whisk in the cheese.
3) If your grits ever get to thick, just whisk in a few tablespoons of milk.
4) Add butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add shrimp. Cook shrimp for 3-4 minutes per side depending on the size. I used 16-20 count and they cooked in about 6-7 minutes.
5) Once the shrimp come out fo the pott, add butter straight to it and scrape up as many bits as possible. Add scallions and garlic and stir. Cook for a minute or two to soften the veggies.
6) Add flour to the pan and whisk together. Cook for a minute or two until the flour starts to turn a very light tan color. This is the roux for the sauce.
7) Next add clam juice or stock to the pan and stir slowly.
8) Once the juice has cooked down and is simmering, add cream, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to whisk until it has the consistency of a light gravy.
9) Plate this dish with a bed of the grits, add some shrimp on top, and finish with the sauce. Garnish with chopped scallions and/or hot sauce.