Beef short ribs braised in red wine and stock. Two day recipe.
1) Add 1/4 cup olive oil to a large sturdy pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add ribs in batches and sear really nicely on all sides.
2) When ribs are well-browned, remove from pot. Add chopped veggies in the same pot. Before you cook them, pour out a bit of the excess oil from the ribs. You don’t need all that oil just for veggies. Cook them for five minutes stirring. Add some salt and pepper.
3) Add the entire bottle of wine to the pot and let it reduce by about half. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all those bits of rib.
4) Then add your ribs back to the pot and pour in all your stock and/or water until the ribs are covered completely.
5) Stick the pot in a 350 degree F. oven until the meat is extremely tender. For me this was about three hours. You can’t really overcook these so error on the side of longer if you are worried.
6)Now let this cool for at least an hour and then stick it into the fridge – covered. Leave it in there overnight to let the ribs really marinate in that wonderful stock.
7) When you pull the ribs out the next day there will be a pretty thick layer of fat on the top. You want to skim off as much as possible. It will be hardened which will make it easier. I actually just poured my sauce through a strainer quickly to get rid of both the fat and the veggies.
8) To finish the dish, Bring sauce to a simmer on the stove and simmer for about an hour to reduce. Add ribs back in and let them glaze a bit in the pot.
Serve the ribs over egg noodles or with polenta!