Chickpea flour pancakes with a sweet and savory chicken curry on top. This could easily be a brunch or a dinner.
Chickpea Pancakes (Adapted from a Socca recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen)
1) Start the batter first by whisking all the batter ingredients together in a large bowl. Let this sit for 2 hours at room temperature before trying to make the pancakes.
2) For the curry, chop the onion and pepper and mince the garlic and ginger.
3) Add the oil to a large pan (a dutch oven works great) over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add all the chopped veggies and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
4) Add curry powder and stir for a minute or two. If it looks too dry or starts ot burn add a bit more oil.
5) Next, add the water, coconut milk, and mango chutney to the mix. Stir until the mixture is a light, bright yellow color.
6) Add whole chicken pieces and bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, for about 25 minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked through. You probably will want to turn down your heat a bit after it reaches a simmer and stir it occasionally to make sure nothing is burning.
7) When the chicken is done, remove it and roughly chop it.
8) Add the chopped chicken back to the curry along with the raisins and cook, uncovered over low heat for another 15 minutes to reduce down further.
9) To make a pancake, add a few drops of oil to a large non-stick pan, crepe pan, or griddle.
10) Add about 1/2 Cup of chickpea batter and swirl (if it’s a pan) so batter is evenly distributed.
11) Cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes. It should be cooked all the way through without needing to flip it.
12) Invert your pan over a clean plate and the pancake should fall out, cooked side up. If you’re using a griddle, use a big spatula to flip the pancake onto a plate.
13) Top with curry and eat immediately!
Leftover curry can be frozen or is also good on rice!