The perfect sweet mix with some spice and salt. These are so addictive you won’t want to share them!
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl using a hand mixer or in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until it’s nice and light.
2) Mix in eggs one at a time into the creamed butter and sugar. Then add vanilla, chili powder, and salt and continue to mix.
3) Add in cocoa powder. Then add flour and mix until just combined. Try not to overmix the batter at this point.
4) Scoop batter into a buttered and dusted (with cocoa powder) 9×13 baking dish and spread out evenly with a flat spatula. Unwrap caramels and melt in microwave in a bowl in 30 second bursts until caramel is smooth. Drizzle caramel over the brownie batter and sprinkle brownies very liberally with chocolate chips.
5) Bake brownies at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the center is not quite set, but almost. Don’t over-bake them!
6) Sprinkle brownies liberally with coarse sea salt and spicy chili powder when they come out of the oven. Then let brownies cool for 15 minutes before slicing into them.
Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container.