Salted Chili Caramel BrowniesJump to Recipe
If you are even a casual reader of this humble blog, you’ll know that I don’t have a huge sweet tooth. My sweets category on the blog is probably the least populated of all the main sections. When I do want something sweet, I also prefer it to be something other than sweet. I want it to be interesting and have other flavors or textures than just sugar. That’s why these Salted Chili Caramel Brownies are up my alley.
If I’m being honest, you could probably even skip the caramel piece if you wanted. Just the chocolate, chili, and salt are a pretty impressive flavor combo.
But, caramel just kicks it up into the ridiculously delicious category.
These are NOT hard to make. One tip though: try to find a pretty spicy chili powder. It should have some heat to it otherwise it won’t really show up in all the other intense flavors.
The perfect sweet mix with some spice and salt. These are so addictive you won’t want to share them!
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl using a hand mixer or in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until it’s nice and light.
2) Mix in eggs one at a time into the creamed butter and sugar. Then add vanilla, chili powder, and salt and continue to mix.
3) Add in cocoa powder. Then add flour and mix until just combined. Try not to overmix the batter at this point.
4) Scoop batter into a buttered and dusted (with cocoa powder) 9×13 baking dish and spread out evenly with a flat spatula. Unwrap caramels and melt in microwave in a bowl in 30 second bursts until caramel is smooth. Drizzle caramel over the brownie batter and sprinkle brownies very liberally with chocolate chips.
5) Bake brownies at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the center is not quite set, but almost. Don’t over-bake them!
6) Sprinkle brownies liberally with coarse sea salt and spicy chili powder when they come out of the oven. Then let brownies cool for 15 minutes before slicing into them.
Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container.
Salted Chili Caramel Brownies
I used my normal base for this brownie which is creamed butter and sugar. I decreased the sugar slightly since I knew the caramel would add some sweetness. I also mixed in some chili powder and salt right into the batter.
Then the cocoa powder goes in followed by the flour. Try not to over mix it!
Spread that mixture out in a 9×13 baking dish that has been buttered and dusted with cocoa powder. Then drizzle on the caramel! I just melted some caramel candies in the microwave for this version. Obviously you could make a caramel sauce if you wanted to get fancy or just use a store-bought sauce. Your call!
Dot the brownies generously with chocolate chips and they are ready for the oven!
When they come out I recommend hitting them right away with a generous sprinkle of chili powder and coarse salt.
As with any brownie, I tend to prefer a slightly underbaked brownie to an overbaked one so judge accordingly! I think 25-30 minutes should get you there!
I mean… COME ON!
Salted Chili Caramel Brownies FOR THE WIN.