Stir Fry! This one is packed with seasoned chicken, loads of veggies, and the secret ingredient: thin strips of roti bread which get crispy in the skillet.
Adapted from Priya Krishna's book, Indianish.
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 pound chicken, sliced thin
12 fresh curry leaves or 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
2 serrano peppers, chopped fine
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
1 red pepper, sliced thin
1/2 small green cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, shredded
4 7-inch roti breads (or tortillas), sliced thin
1 tablespoon chaat masala (optional)
1 lime, juice only
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, garnish
1/4 cup roasted peanuts or cashews
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep all ingredients. Slice chicken into thin strips if you’re using it. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Prep all veggies and slice roti bread into thin 1/4-inch strips.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil along with the chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and add another tablespoon of olive oil along with all the chopped or shredded veggies. Cook for another 5-6 minutes until veggies cook down slightly.
- Remove veggies from the skillet and add the rest of the olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). Add sliced roti bread and cook, stirring regularly, until bread is crispy in spots. After bread has cooked for a few minutes, add in cooked chicken and veggies. Toss to combine.
- Season stir fry with Chaat Masala (optional), lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish stir fry with fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve immediately so bread stays a bit crispy.