1) Add cream to a small pot with crushed garlic, nutmeg, and thyme along with a big pinch of salt and pepper.
2) Heat cream over medium heat until it’s steaming, but not simmering. Kill the heat and let the flavors infuse for 20 minutes. Then strain the cream.
3) Peel root vegetables and slice thinly using a mandoline slicer or a knife. A knife is hard, but doable.
4) Lightly butter a large baking dish.
5) Layer the root vegetables in any order that pleases you. I went with potatoes, turnips, sweet potatoes, cheese, celery root, rutabaga, potatoes.
6) Pour cream over gratin and press down on it to force the cream between the layers.
7) Top gratin with cheese.
8) Cover gratin with foil and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Remove foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes until it is browned nicely.
9) Let cool for a minute or two and serve immediately!