1) Slice the tips of of the garlic heads and shallots and wrap them loosely in foil. Drizzle in a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt.
2) Roast the garlic and shallots for about 40 minutes until they are fork tender.
3) Let the garlic and shallots cool briefly and then use your fingers to pop the cloves out of the their skin. You can use a fork also, but hands are more fun.
4) Cube potatoes and add them to a large pan with the quart of stock. Also add the roasted garlic and shallots.
5) Cover the soup and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
6) Use a blender to process the soup until it’s smooth. Some lumps are just fine.
7) Season with salt and pepper and a dash of lemon juice. Optionally, you can stir in some cream to make the soup more rich.
8) I like to serve this soup in a bread bowl, but you can definitely serve it in regular bowls also.