Homemade waffles topped with ricotta cheese and easy homemade date syrup. Wonderfully sweet and rich with just the right amount of tang.
1) For syrup, dice dates, removing seeds. Stir together with water and syrup in a small saucepan until it’s simmering. Cook until it reduces to a syrup. Keep warm until ready to serve.
2) Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients (eggs/milk/butter) in a smaller bowl.
3) Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well combined. The batter should be thick, but not dry or clumpy.
4) Stir in ricotta cheese and lemon zest.
5) Heat up waffle iron and spray it with nonstick spray or rub it down with some oil.
6) Add batter to iron (1/2 cup is a good start) and cook until waffle is crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
7) Smear hot waffle with extra ricotta cheese and serve with date syrup and extra syrup.