Red Velvet Cupcakes done right with real buttermilk and lots of cream cheese frosting.
Basic Cream Cheese Frosting:
1) To make batter, whisk cake flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a bowl.
2) Cream together butter and sugar in a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer until it’s nice and fluffy.
3) Add eggs, one at a time, to the creamed butter. Then add water, salt, vanilla, and red food coloring.
4) Add 1/3 of your dry ingredients to the mix, followed by 1/2 of you buttermilk, then another 1/3 of your dry stuff, followed by the last 1/2 of your buttermilk. Finally, stir in the last 1/3 of the dry stuff.
5) Combine the baking soda and vinegar in a separate bowl and then stir that into the batter.
6) Fill cupcake tins with liners and fill 2/3s full.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
8) For the frosting, cream together the butter and the cream cheese until it’s very light and fluffy. Definitely whip it for 3-4 minutes. Then stir in the vanilla. Stir in the powdered sugar in 2 or 3 batches.
9) Let cupcakes cool completely and then frost with the buttercream frosting.