Red onions soaked in buttermilk and fried. They have a nice tangy flavor that goes great with a homemade ranch dipping sauce.
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch:
1) Slice onions thinly and soak in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes.
2) For ranch, dice fresh herbs finely and mix together with other ingredients in a mason jar. Shake for 10 seconds to combine well. You can also whisk everything together in a bowl.
3) Set up a fry station with a thermometer. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
4) Mix flour with spices (paprika, salt, pepper).
5) Drain onions and let sit for a few seconds.
6) Dip onions in flour and coat lightly. Then transfer straight to the fryer.
7) Fry for about 5 minutes until they are golden brown. Work in batches and make sure your oil stays hot.
8) Let drain on a paper towel for a minute and serve immediately!