If you’re bored of chickpeas and want to make a fast, delicious, homemade falafel, then look to the lentil for a good change!
Quick yogurt sauce:
1) Cook red lentils according to package. Be sure to rinse them and sort through for any pebbles. Cook until soft, then drain and cool slightly.
2) Mash together lentils with spices, parsley, and cilantro. Mix in egg, lemon juice, baking powder, flour, and a big pinch of salt and pepper.
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a tablespoon to scoop heaping tablespoons of lentil mixture into breadcrumbs. Toss to coat and transfer coated falafel ball to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue with forming falafels until you have used all the mixture (you should get 26-30 falafels).
4) Drizzle falafels well with olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees until lentils are cracked and cooked through.
5) Meanwhile stir together greek yogurt sauce ingredients and prepare other garnishes.
6) When falafels are done baking, make a sandwich by microwaving a pita for 10 seconds so it’s easier to open. Stuff with a few falafel balls and any other garnishes you want. Eat up!