Raspberry Brie Grilled Cheese with Nutella
Sometimes you just need a little taste of decadence. You are literally three ingredients away from that taste. This Raspberry Brie Grilled Cheese with Nutella is a special grilled cheese. It’s almost more dessert than anything, but honestly I ate it for lunch while I was recipe testing it.
And I would be happy to do so again!
The combo of fresh raspberries (yes use fresh please), creamy brie cheese, and rich Nutella is what grilled cheese dreams are made of.
If you’ve had a long day or just need a little taste of happiness in your week, this should be on your menu.
It’s a rich grilled cheese so feel free to share one with a friend, or if you’re feeling very giving, one of your children. I did no such nonsense though.
Want a Variation on this Brie Grilled Cheese?
- Try other fresh berries instead of raspberries. Sliced strawberries or blueberries work great.
- Try a nut butter spread in place of Nutella.
- Add honey to the sandwich rather than a spread.
- Trim any large pieces of rind off the brie. Some rind is just fine.
- Place a large skillet (cast iron works well) over medium-low heat. Butter one side of all of your bread slices. A very thin layer of butter does the trick.
- Place bread, butter-side down, in the skillet. Spread one side of each sandwich with nutella spread. Place brie and raspberries on the second side. Flip nutella side over to make the grilled cheese.
- Cook grilled cheese gently over medium-low heat until the bread is well-toasted on both sides and the brie cheese is gooey and melted, maybe 3-4 minutes per side.
- Slice sandwich immediately and serve while warm.
The Right Bread for Grilled Cheese
The bread you use for your grilled cheese is largely determined on what’s in it! If I’m making a plain grilled cheese with, say, American cheese, I’m partial to just white sandwich bread. Nothing fancy.
But this sandwich requires something a bit more sturdy and substantial. I’d recommending finding a good rustic boule and slicing it about 1/3-inch thick. This will give you a good base for these rich fillings!
Making the Raspberry Brie Grilled Cheese
You’ll need these things. Leave one out at your own peril. They are all important!
I’d recommend trimming off any large pieces of rind from the brie, but no need to go crazy. Some rind is just fine. It all melts together.
Lightly butter your bread slices and get them going in a sturdy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the brie and raspberries to one side and the Nutella to the second piece.
Most importantly, cook this sandwich over medium low heat. Err on the side of LOW heat actually. It’s okay if it takes longer to brown. The last thing you want is either A) the bread to burn, but also, you can actually over melt brie where it just completely breaks down.
When it just starts to get gooey, you want the sandwich to be done. 3-4 minutes per side should do the trick.
As with any grilled cheese, this Raspberry Brie Grilled Cheese is best served RIGHT AWAY. Cut it up, devour it, and feel good about it.