A hearty and filling casserole with tomatoes, quinoa, zucchini, and ricotta cheese.
1) If you’re using quinoa, cook it according to package before starting casserole. Ideally, you could use leftover quinoa for this dish. Otherwise you can use couscous, but don’t pre-cook the couscous.
2) Start by slicing the squash/zucchini and laying it out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes until soft but not soggy at all.
3) In a medium sauce pan, add about a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and red peppers. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
4) Add tomatoes and spices and stir. Bring to a simmer and turn down heat.
5) Add quinoa or couscous and cook until thick. Taste for seasonings.
6) Butter a 9×9 baking dish and add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of the dish. Then add a layer of vegetables and ricotta cheese.
7) Layer on most of the sauce, followed by more zucchini, followed by the rest of the ricotta and sauce. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
8) Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbling, about 30-40 minutes.
9) Let cool for a few minutes and serve.