Quick Breakfast Tacos with Potatoes and Ham
These breakfast tacos can be made in about 15 minutes flat with just a few ingredients. These are loaded with diced potatoes, ham, eggs, and salsa!
Quick Breakfast Tacos with Potatoes and HamJump to Recipe
Breakfast tacos might seem like a weekend project, but I’m not sure that that is warranted. You can make a batch of really delicious and simple breakfast tacos in about 15 minutes! These quick breakfast tacos are filled with potatoes, ham, eggs, and a bunch of other traditional Tex-Mex toppings.
They are a great way to start any day!
I can make these in literally 15 minutes, but if you are a slow chopper you could dice the potatoes and ham the night before, or you could actually cook the ham/potato mixture the night before and then just reheat it. Then you have like a 5-minute breakfast taco!
Even with my hectic mornings with two young kids, I sometimes need something other than oatmeal or cereal for breakfast during the week and these are a really delicious option!
Breakfast taco lovers stand up!
- Need another fast Tex-Mex Breakfast? Try these 10 minute migas!
Quick Breakfast Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yukon potato
- ½ cup diced ham
- 2 tablespoons diced pickled jalapeno
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3 eggs scrambled
- 4 taco sized flour tortillas
- 2 ounces queso fresco
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Dice potatoes and ham into 1-4 inch pieces at the largest. You want a pretty small dice. In a medium skillet over medium heat, add oil and the potatoes and ham. Cook for 7-8 minutes until potatoes are tender and the mixture is crispy in spots. Add in seasoned salt and diced pickled jalapenos (optional). Keep warm.
- Scramble eggs and cook in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until they are just cooked, 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble tacos in flour tortillas by dividing potato mixture. Top with a sprinkle of queso fresco, the eggs, avocado, sour cream, salsa, and fresh cilantro.
- Eat immediately!
Did you make this?
Snap a photo and tag @macheesmo so I can see your work.
How to Season Breakfast Tacos
As you might imagine, you can go crazy with seasonings on these tacos. Chili powder, garlic powder, paprika… all could be added in small pinches. But I wanted to keep this simple so I added just one seasoning to my breakfast tacos: Seasoned salt! It gives the filling a nice savory flavor with one sprinkle. Done!
Making the Breakfast Taco Filling
The only tip to remember here is to spend a little time to dice your potatoes and ham into about 1/4-inch pieces. This ensures they will cook quickly, which is the whole goal with these breakfast tacos!
After about 8 minutes in a skillet with some oil they should start to crisp up nicely around the edges. As long as the potatoes are tender though, you are good to go!
Meanwhile, you can make the scrambled eggs in a small skillet. I cooked mine with a small drizzle of oil over low heat. Check out my perfect scrambled eggs tutorial for more on making really good scrambled eggs!
Now you just have to assemble! I like to use flour tortillas for these breakfast tacos but you could obviously use corn.
Divide the potato filling between the tortillas and then top with eggs, queso fresco, avocado, salsa, sour cream (just a little) and some fresh cilantro.
Done deal! Dive in!
Struggling with weeknight meals? Be sure to check out my Ultimate guide to Easy Weeknight Meals!
Here are a few other great taco recipes!
- Popcorn Shrimp Tacos
- Quesadilla Taco Shells
- Cheesy Baked Tacos
- Crispy Chicken Tacos from Host the Toast