This creamy homemade tapioca is almost like pumpkin pie in a jar! It’s so creamy and delicious and has just enough spice and sweetness. It is also a great gluten-free dessert!
1/3 cup pearl tapioca
3/4 cup water
2 1/2 cups milk
1 (15 oz. can) pumpkin puree
2 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped cream, for serving
- Add tapioca and water to a medium saucepan. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat together egg yolks and pumpkin. Add mixture to tapioca along with milk, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Simmer tapioca mixture over low heat for 10-15 minutes, uncovered, until it starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar to soft peaks (a cold clean bowl helps).
- Whip 1 cup of the hot tapioca mixture into the egg whites. Then fold the egg white mixture back into the tapioca pot. Stir over low heat for another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the tapioca cool for a few minutes. Then stir in vanilla.
- Serve tapioca warm or chill for later. It’ll set up more if you let it chill. Serve with whipped cream.