1) Cream the butter and sugar together. Weigh the ingredients to get the recipe correct.
2) Mix all the dry ingredients together and all the wet ingredients separately. Then slowly add the dry and wet ingredients to the base mixture of sugar and butter.
3) Start by adding about 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then add half the wet ingredients, then half of the remaining dry ingredients, the rest of the wet ingredients, and then the rest of the dry ingredients.
1) Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Do this one at a time and then add the white to the rest of the whites.
2) Start beating these with the hand mixer until they are very fluffy and forming light peaks, then slowly pour in the sugar. After a few more minutes of beating, stiff peaks will form.
3) With a spatula, fold the meringue into the previous batter mixture. Fold it slowly and take your time. You want to keep as many of the bubbles in the meringue as possible.
4) Take a few tablespoons of the mixture in a few different bowls and added some gel coloring.
5) Pour a layer of white batter in each cup, then randomly pour the colors in each cup.
6) Top each cupcake off with more white mixture and then used a butter knife (or toothpick) to gently swirl the mixture. Just make two or three swirls.
7) Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
8) After the cakes cool, frost each of them pretty generously.