This classic red beans and rice recipe is comfort food at its best! It has rich, deep flavors and while it normally would take all day to simmer, it’s done in about an hour thanks to the pressure cooker!
- Add olive oil to your container for the Crock-Pot pressure cooker and turn on the saute function. Add sausage slices and saute for 3-4 minutes until they start to brown slightly. Add onions, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add tomato paste, ham hock (optional), red beans, thyme, salt, Cajun spice, bay leaves, and water. The water should cover everything by at least an inch.
- Stir everything together really well to combine. Put on the pressure cooker lid and cook the beans on manual high pressure for 45 minutes. After the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Then release any remaining pressure using the valve. Test beans to make sure they are very tender.
- Taste red beans and season with salt to taste. Turn cooker onto the simmer function and simmer red beans for another 5-10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Serve red beans over white rice garnished with fresh scallion. Optionally add hot sauce for extra spice.
Leftover red beans and rice can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat red beans over low heat on the stove with a splash of water.
To make crusty toast dippers, chop bread slices into sticks. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Arrange the dippers in the top rack of the cooker. Place on the Express Crisp lid and turn on the Air Fryer function. Cook for 5 minutes. Serve toast dippers with red beans!