Popcorn Shrimp Tacos! Made with fresh shrimp, lightly battered and quickly fried! Served with a spicy slaw and tangy sour cream sauce. One of my favorite seafood tacos!
Sour Cream Sauce:
- For sauce, stir together ingredients and taste. Adjust with lime and salt to your liking.
- For slaw, shred carrots and cabbage and stir together with tomatoes, scallion, and pickled jalapeno. It’s best if it can sit for a few hours in the fridge and is easy to make in advance. It’s okay to make it right before serving though.
- For popcorn shrimp, peel shrimp and chop them in half to get small, bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle shrimp with salt. Toss shrimp with flour to coat lightly. Shake off any extra flour and transfer to beaten eggs. Coat lightly with egg and then transfer to breadcrumbs. Coat shrimp in breadcrumbs and then spread them out on a plate to make sure they stay separate.
- Preheat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. You don’t need a lot of oil to make these. It should go about an inch up the side of the pot. Test oil by dropping in some breadcrumbs, which should sizzle immediately.
- Fry popcorn shrimp in batches for about 4 minutes per batch, stirring gently while they fry. Test one to make sure they are cooked through. Drain shrimp when they come out of fryer on a few paper towels.
- Make tacos by spreading some sour cream sauce on a warmed tortilla. Top with a handful of slaw and a few popcorn shrimp. Repeat!
Popcorn shrimp keep okay in the fridge for a few days. Reheat in a 300 degree oven for 5-6 minutes.