A classic one pot chicken and rice meal. Simple, but delicious food!
1) If you start with a whole chicken, cut it into breasts and thighs. Season chicken well by rubbing it with salt, pepper, and paprika. A pinch of seasoned salt is really good on it also.
2) Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat and once hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3) When oil is glistening, add chicken, skin-side down. Brown chicken for 5-6 minutes per side.
4) Remove chicken from pan once browned. Now, add your onions and peppers to the pot. These will brown pretty quickly. They just need to cook for a few minutes. Stir regularly to make sure they don’t burn.
5) Add rice and stir to coat rice in oil. Cook for 30 seconds only.
6) Nestle the browned chicken pieces into the rice. Add three cups stock or water and cover with a lid or plate (or foil).
7) Turn heat down to medium on the pan and let it cook for 20 minutes. The dish is done when the rice is fluffy, the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through.