Huge buttermilk scones stuffed with standard pizza toppings like mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and fresh basil.
1) Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, fresh basil, and oregano in a large bowl.
2) Mix mozzarella cheese, minced sun-dried tomatoes, and pepperoni in a separate bowl. If you’re using dried sun-dried tomatoes, reconstitute them in boiling water for 30 seconds before using. If you’re using tomatoes in oil, you can just add them in.
3) Cube butter and cut it into the flour mixture using your fingers until it resembles pea-sized pieces.
4) Stir mozzarella mixture into flour mixture.
5) In a separate bowl, mix together buttermilk and eggs and then stir that into the flour mixture. Mix until it forms a loose dough.
6) Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead a few times. The dough should be about 3/4-1 inch thick.
7) Cut out 8 large scones from the dough. You may need to re-roll the dough. Add cut scones to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
8) Bake scones in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown. Let cool briefly before serving.