Pesto Kale Quiche with homemade crust. A rich and perfect quiche with savory kale pesto and sautéed kale baked into a puffy egg masterpiece.
Quiche Butter Crust:
1) Stir together flour with salt. Cube cold butter and cut it into the dry ingredients using clean fingers or a pastry cutter. Work the butter into the flour until it’s in pea-sized pieces. Some uneven lumps are fine.
2) Stir in iced water until the dough just comes together. Some flaky pieces are fine. Turn dough out onto a clean surface and press it into a solid ball. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, but ideally overnight.
3) When ready to make quiche, unwrap dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface until it fits in your pie pan with about an inch overhanging on each side. Fold crust up to form a sturdy crust edge.
4) Poke holes all over the crust with a fork (even on sides) and cover crust base with parchment paper. Weigh down crust with pie weights or dry beans. Pre-bake crust at 375 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Then remove beans or weights.
Combine 1 cup packed kale and basil with lemon, garlic, and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Add enough olive oil to bring the pesto together in a smooth paste. You should need 1/4-1/3 cup. Set pesto aside for later.
1) In a large skillet, add a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and kale and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove veggies from heat and stir in pesto.
2) Add pesto and veggie mixture to pre-baked pie crust. Spread them around and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
3) Whisk together eggs and half and half and pour eggs over the pesto mixture in the pie crust. Use a spatula to distribute eggs evenly in crust.
4) Bake until eggs are firm in the center at 375 degrees F. This will mostly likely be around 30 minutes, but could be a bit longer depending on your pan. Test the quiche by removing it and jiggling it. It should be firm, but gently jiggle, almost like set jello. If it seems liquidy at all, bake it for another 5 minutes.
5) Let quiche cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving!