A delicious twist on a classic pastrami sandwich. Slightly sweet and very savory. My ideal Sunday lunch.
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2) Place four 1/2-inch pieces of good bread on the baking sheet and smear with fig jam.
3) Place a few slices of thin pastrami on each sandwich. Then top with a light smear of mustard.
4) Top with grated cheese and a few thin apple slices.
5) Bake sandwiches for about five minutes until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
6) Top with fresh chives and chow down immediately!