A homemade focaccia loaf topped with caramelized onions and rosemary.
1) Add olive oil, water, yeast, sugar, and salt mixed together to form a slurry.
2) Then toss in all your flour. Stir together and use your hands to form it into a good ball.
3) Once dough is together in a ball, let it rise at room temperature for two hours.
4) When dough has risen, roll it out into a large rectangle or oval about 1/2 inch thick. Transfer to a baking sheet that has been heavily oiled.
5) Saute half of an onion, sliced, in a tablespoon or so of olive oil until they were wilted and soft. Chop up a few teaspoons of fresh rosemary and add them to the mix.
6) Add toppings to the loaf and season with salt and pepper.
7) Let this loaf rest for 20 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Add an empty baking pan to the oven as well on a separate level than you will put your bread.
8) Add dough to oven and also pour about a cup of water into your empty baking pan in the oven which will create a lot of steam. You want to trap as much steam as possible in the oven with the bread.
9) Bake the focaccia for 25-30 minutes at 425. Cook until it’s a nice golden brown and then let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.