1) To make homemade chips, chop corn tortillas into sixths. Add a few cups of oil to a large cast iron skillet and heat it over medium high heat until the oil registers 350 degrees. Fry chips in batches and don’t crowd the pan.
2) Fry chips for about 4 minutes until they aren’t bubbling and are slightly browned. Let chips drain on a paper towel and season with a pinch of salt. Repeat until all chips are fried.
3) Spread chips out on a few baking sheets and smear each chip with a small amount of refried beans. (Sautee beans with 1/2 diced onion and some butter in a small pot until softened)
4) Next top each chip with some diced jalapeno, red onion, avocado and a sprinkle of cheese.
5) Bake nachos at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.
Pile high and serve with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole!