A healthy and delicious soup packed with sauteed mushrooms, chicken, and wild rice. Perfect for a chilly winter night.
1) Boil wild rice until it’s cooked, but still has a slight bite to it. Don’t cook the rice in the stock for your soup because it’ll make the stock black!
2) Shred leftover chicken or simmer a chicken breast in simmering water for 15 minutes until chicken is just cooked. Then remove and shred.
3) Meanwhile, slice mushrooms and dice other veggies. For mushrooms, I like a mix of shiitake, oyster, and cremini mushrooms.
4) In a large pot add olive oil followed by sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook until mushrooms release their liquid and are lightly browned, about 6-7 minutes.
5) Add diced onions, carrots, and red peppers and continue to cook until veggies are softened, another 4-5 minutes.
6) Add garlic and thyme and cook for 30 seconds. Then add stock, cooked rice, and shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes, partially covered. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve soup with fresh parsley as a garnish.