Carbonara can be a fickle recipe and one that I think scares some home cooks. Have no fear! You can master it. This Mushroom Carbonara is my new favorite version and you and your family will love it.
1) In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, whole eggs, and parmesan cheese. Set aside for later. Slice mushrooms.
2) Melt Land O’Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms wilt down and caramelize well. This should take at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) While the mushrooms are cooking, cook spaghetti in salted water until al dente. Reserve pasta water.
3) Add sliced garlic and fresh sage to mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds.
4) Add cooked spaghetti to the mushrooms in the skillet. Add ½ cup pasta water to the skillet and save the rest as you might need more if the sauce gets too thick.
5) Remove skillet from heat entirely and quickly stir in the egg and parmesan mixture. The residual heat from the spaghetti will cook the eggs and they shouldn’t curdle. If they do curdle slightly, it’s okay. It’s still delicious!
6) Serve mushroom carbonara immediately garnished with fresh sage leaves.