Soda bread with a slightly sweet flavor due to some brown sugar. By using half whole wheat flour, the bread has a great nutty flavor.
1) Preheat oven to 425 and mix all your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2) Once your dry ingredients are mixed well, cube your butter and cut it into the dry ingredients. I just use my fingers to mix it in until it’s in pea-sized balls throughout the flour.
3) Add the cold buttermilk and give everything a stir. It should form a saggy dough.
4) You don’t need to knead this dough very much. It’ll be pretty messy. So just knead it a few times to even out the dough and then form a rough ball with it.
5) Set the ball on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.
6) Use a serrated knife to cut a big X in the top of the bread.
7) Bake the bread for 50-60 minutes. It should sound hollow when you thump it! It’ll still be pretty dense though.
8) Let it cool for 30 minutes when it comes out of the oven. Serve it with bread!