Fun orbs of jelly (with some optional booze) nestled in a completely edible meringue cup. Really fun and a perfect party treat!
For Jelly Shots:
- Cook Jelly according to directions on package, usually by dissolving it in hot water and then mixing it with cold water. When mixing in cold water, substitute cold water for up to 1 cup of vodka. (1/2 cup per box of jelly). You can also add a few drops of food coloring to make the color brighter.
- Transfer jelly to a wide dish and let chill in the fridge for about 3 hours so it sets up completely.
For the meringue cups:
- Whisk egg whites in a very clean bowl (preferably copper) until they start to foam. Then whisk in tartar and 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time. Continue to whisk until whites form stiff peaks. You can also do this in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- When egg whites are very stable, transfer to a clean pastry bag (or a large plastic bag). Cut the tip off of one of the corners of the bag and pipe egg whites onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Pipe large tablespoon-sized dollops on the paper. You should get about 50 covering two baking sheets.
- Use a teaspoon to form a divot in each meringue.
- Bake meringue cups in a 200 degree F. oven for 2 hours. Then let cool at room temperature slowly.
When ready to serve, use a melon baller to scoop out orbs of jelly and place on meringue cups. Serve immediately! The whole thing is edible!