A quick pasta salad that mixes crunchy pancetta and ripe melon with lots of fresh herbs. Perfect for a summer picnic!
1) Lay pancetta out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until pancetta is crispy, about 12-14 minutes. Then let pancetta cool and crumble it into bits.
2) Cook pasta according to package. You can use any small tubular or round pasta.
3) Use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop melon flesh into small balls. Mince mint and chop scallions.
4) Whisk together olive oil and vinegar in a large bowl until combined. When pasta is done, drain pasta and add it to the oil and vinegar. Stir well and let cool slightly.
5) Stir in crispy pancetta and melon along with half the mint and scallions.
6) Season well with salt and pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Top finished pasta salad with extra mint, scallions, and shaved ricotta salata.
Salad is best slightly warm or cold and keeps okay for a day or two.