1) For sauce, add the onions to the oil and saute for just a few minutes. You don’t want them to caramelize (turn brown). Throw in the garlic (chopped) after a few minutes too. Then you want to put in all of the tomatoes (chopped also if you didn’t buy them chopped).
2) Cook down over medium-low heat and season with salt and pepper and dry or fresh basil. I prefer fresh if you can get it. If you use fresh, add it right at the end. Simmer sauce for at least 30 minutes, but probably close to an hour.
3) For meatballs, soak bread in milk. Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl using your hands.
4) Shape meatballs into 1-inch balls. You should get about 40.
5) Bake meatballs at 400 degrees F. for about 12 minutes. Turn them once as they cook.
6) Serve meatballs as an appetizer with the sauce to dip in. You could also serve the meatballs over pasta!