1) Dice the mango into cubes and process it until smooth. Strain the mango puree to remove any fibers or chunks.
2) Whisk the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt together in a bowl.
3) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the mango puree and milk and cream (or half and half). Heat this mixture, whisking continuously, until it’s frothy and steaming, but not boiling. It should be about 180 degrees and will probably take about 8 minutes.
4) Take the milk mixture off the heat and slowly whisk 1/3 of it into the egg mixture. Once your eggs are tempered, whisk the egg mixture back into the milk mixture.
5) Add your vanilla extract to the pudding base and put it back on low heat for a few minutes to thicken further. The mixture should easily coat the back of the spoon.
6) Once it’s thickened, take it off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Then place a piece of plastic wrap over the pudding and put it in the fridge for a few hours to chill and set completely. Four hours is about right.
7) Serve with freshly chopped mango.