A spicy fruity twist on a classic! This Mango Habanero Baked Brie will bring some heat to your appetizer table! macheesmo.com
6 ounces frozen mango
1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
8 ounce wheel of brie
Puff pastry sheet
Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water)
Crackers for serving
- NOTE: When dealing with habaneros, either use food-safe rubber gloves or be sure to wash your hands very thoroughly after dicing the habaneros. They are very spicy and will burn your eyes/etc if you don’t wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a small saucepan, combine mangos, minced habanero, sugar, water, and a pinch of salt. Cook the mango habanero jelly over medium heat until it breaks down and simmers lightly. As the mixture cooks, use a fork to mash it together to form a jelly. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens (8-10 minutes total cooking). Then remove the mixture from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Spread about half of the mango jelly on a sheet of thawed puff pastry, right in the center. Place an 8-ounce wheel of brie in the center of the puff pastry. Top with the rest of the jelly and fold the puff pastry over, completely enclosing the baked brie.
- Place the wrapped brie on a baking sheet (parchment paper helps for easier clean-up). Place the wrapped brie folded side down so it seals well. Brush the baked brie with egg wash.
- Bake the brie at 350˚F for 25-30 minutes until it’s golden brown and flaky.
- Let the brie sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes and then serve with crackers and/or fruit.