A step-by-step guide to making bratwurst at home. This was my first time trying it and it turned out great!
1) Trim off as much fat as possible from the pork butt. Cut fat and meat into 1/2-1 inch cubes that easily fit into your grinder.
2) Freeze the meat and the fat for 30 minutes so it firms up nicely.
3) Mix spices together in bowl.
4) Grind the fat first. Use the large plate grinder first and then pass the meat through the larger grinder also.
5) Combine fat and meat together at this point using your hands. Mix in all the spices as well. Let the mixture chill for another 30 minutes.
6) Grind the mixture through the small grinder plate.
7) Prepare your casings according to directions and start filling your casing. I like to go for a 6-8 inch brat but you can make them any size you want!
Store brats in fridge for a few days or freeze them for longer keeping. I prefer to boil the brats in beer for 30 minutes and then grill them on a hot grill to crisp up the sausage.