Lasagna Rolls are a fun and delicious way to change up a classic. These rolls taste just like layered lasagna but are a bit easier to store for later.
For Ricotta filling:
1) Stir together ricotta and chopped fresh herbs. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and store in the fridge until needed.
For sausage filling:
1) Add a drizzle of oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Then add sausage, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Let cook, breaking apart sausage with a spoon, until sausage is mostly cooked.
2) Add chopped onions and garlic to sausage and continue to cook until veggies are soft, another 5-6 minutes.
3) Remove sausage from heat and once it has cooled slightly add mixture to a small food processor and pulse a few times to grind up sausage into an evenly fine texture.
4) Add sausage mixture back to skillet with canned diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and taste it. Season with more salt and pepper if needed or more pepper.
To make lasagna rolls:
1) cook lasagna noodles according to package. Try not to overcook them.
2) Drain noodles and then working with a few noodles at a time, lay them out flat and add a smear of ricotta mixture to each noodle. Then add a few spoonfuls of sausage mixture. You just need a thin layer of each on each noodle.
3) Roll noodles up. Roll tight enough that the noodles stick, but not so tight that the filling busts out.
4) Mix tomato sauce with a pinch of red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spoon a bit of the sauce into the bottom of a large baking pan.
5) As you finish rolling the lasagna, add them to the lightly sauced pan, seam side down.
6) After you finish rolling enough lasagna to fill the pan, spoon over the rest of the sauce and then top with grated cheese.
7) Bake at 375 degrees, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
8) Serve rolls immediately with chopped basil and red pepper flakes.
9) Store extra rolls in the fridge or, once cool, wrap them in foil and then store them in the freezer in a freezer-safe bag for months.