A perfect baked, cheesy macaroni and cheese with bacon and spicy kimchi.
Recipe from Modern Comfort Cooking.
5 slices bacon, baked
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups whole milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2/3 cup chopped kimchi
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper, bake bacon until crispy, 12-15 minutes. Remove bacon and let it drain a few paper towels. Roughly chop.
- Cook pasta according to package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt 4 tablespoons of the unsalted butter and whisk in flour over medium-high heat. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture turns a light tan color, then gradually add milk and whisk until sauce thickens, maybe five minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth. Then add salt, pepper, bacon, kimchi, and cooked macaroni. Stir together well.
- Melt remaining butter and stir together with breadcrumbs and cayenne pepper.
- Transfer macaroni mixture to a 13×9-inch baking dish and top with buttered panko. Bake mixture until golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Serve while hot.