1) Go over dry beans and sort out any debris. Soak dried beans overnight in 3 cups of cold water per cup of beans.
2) Drain beans and add them to a pot with water that covers the beans by a few inches. Bring to a simmer for an hour and skim of any foam that forms.
3) Let your beans cool a bit and strain them. Feel free to save some of the bean water for the soup.
4) To make soup, add oil to a large heavy pan and once it’s hot, add onions over medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes until they are soft. Then add jalapeno and garlic and cook for another minute.
5) Next stir in all the spices followed by the beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste.
6) Add liquid to the pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
7) Use a blender (Emersion works best) to puree the soup to a almost smooth consistency.
8) Serve soup with guacamole topping.
For Guacamole Salsa Topper: Combine ingredients in a bowl. Try not to over-mash the ingredients. Chunky is good.
For crispy corn strips: Toss together corn strips with oil and spices. Bake at 350 F. until crispy and browned, about 15 minutes. They will continue to crisp up while they cool as well.