Change up your turkey sandwich game with this Jalapeno Popper Grilled Turkey Sandwich! Don’t forget the crispy shallots!
Quick Fried Shallots:
- Cut turkey into 5-6 ounce cutlets and pound thin with a kitchen mallet between two pieces of plastic. Move cutlets to a bowl and add olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or prepare a charcoal grill for direct heat.
- When ready to cook, lightly oil cooking grates of grill. Add jalapeno halves to the grill and the marinaded turkey cutlets. Grill cutlets and jalapenos for 3-4 minutes per side. Turkey should register 165˚F in the thickest part of the cutlets. They will cook very quickly.
- Brush buns with a little oil and grill for 30 seconds to toast them.
- Build a sandwich by adding some ripe avocado to the bottom bun. Top with a grilled turkey cutlet (cut in half is easiest for stacking). Top with about an ounce of cream cheese and two halves of grilled jalapeno. Finish the sandwich with a handful of crispy fried shallots.
Leftover grilled turkey will keep well in the fridge for 4-5 days.
To make fried shallots, slice them thin and preheat oil to 350˚F in a medium pot. Dust shallots with seasoned flour and fry for 3-4 minutes until deep brown and crispy. Remove and let drain on a few paper towels.